A Fragment of Personal History
Lindus Cody is descended from early settlers of Cleveland, his great-
grandfather on his mother’s side, Ahimaaz Sherwin, having settled in this
city in the early part of the last century, and his paternal grandfather,
Philip Cody, came here about the same time. His parents were Dr.
Philip Cody and Harriet Sherwin.
In October, 1861, Mr. Cody married S. Amelia Farnsworth. Mrs.
Cody has fellowshipped with him throughout the years in all his religious
enterprises, and has for a number of years been President of the Women’s
Foreign Missionary Society of the Gospel Church.
When quite a young man Mr. Cody experienced a remarkable con-
version, since which time he has held the unshakable conviction that “the
gospel is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.”
Elder Cody has for 60 years confessed a firm belief in the inerrancy
and inspiration of the Holy Scriptures as the Word of God, and since his
youth he has been building upon the unshakable rock of Divine Truth
which neither wind nor storm can ever overthrow. In character he is a
man of patient and considerate spirit. His peace has ever seemed to flow
as a river. He has frequently surprised his opponents by manifesting
toward them the love of Christ in peaceable and practical entreaty and
self-abnegation. He has long learned the divine art of loving his enemies.
Mr. Cody has been a Barnabas,—a son of consolation,—to many. He
has always contributed liberally to the work of the evangelization of
both Jew and Gentile in all parts of the world. His sympathies and love
have been world-wide. He has never seemed to be tempted to covetous-
ness, and his ambition in his last days is that they may be his best and biggest
days as a steward of the Lord.
Mr. and Mrs. Cody have eight living children, two others having
passed into the presence of the Lord to await their coming. They have
twenty grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Cody
have two missionary daughters, Miss Mary Cody, who spent eight years
in mission work in Japan and Singapore, and Mrs. Sam Higginbottom,
who has for the past fourteen years labored with her husband in the
interests of India’s hundreds of millions who are without Christ.
Elder Cody is an ardent believer in the speedy return of Jesus Christ.
He watches, waits and works for that great event. “Blessed is that ser-
vant whom his Lord when He cometh shall find so doing.”
“Beloved we pray above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in
health even as thy soul prospereth.”
AN OUTFLOWING LIFE
These three words summarize the Christian life and service of Lin-
dus Cody, covering upwards of sixty years. Today at the age of eighty
years, he is still bringing forth spiritual fruit. His heart and mind are
constantly engaged in “lengthening the cords”, “strengthening the stakes”,
and in the “stretching forth of the curtains” of the Lord’s habitation on
In undertaking to present this “appreciation”, we greatly regret that
our references to this unusual life must necessarily be abbreviated. Many
pages could be written, and many should be written to give even a bird’s-
The Gospel Church, Central Avenue
eye vision of the attempts and accomplishments of Lindus Cody in the
service of his Lord.
The Euclid Avenue Congregational Church
Mr. Cody’s earliest Christian fellowships in Cleveland were with the
Euclid Avenue Congregational Church. Through his influence and efforts
as a young man a lot was donated to the trustees for a church site. This
timely gift to the Church has ever served as an earnest of what Lindus
Cody believed the Lord was ready to do for those who were willing to
obey His voice. A donated lot for a church site or for a Bible confer-
ence tabernacle was a generosity he frequently resorted to in later years.
The Collinwood Congregational Church and Sunday School
Mr. Cody was next found engaged in the Lord’s service at Collinwood
Here he was “diligent in business, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord”. He
built Collinwood’s first store and many of its early homes. He founded
the work which developed into the Collinwood Congregational Church and Sunday School. He served in the Sunday School as one of its first
The Euclid Ave. Congregational Church, 1867
This lot on the SE corner at S. Logan St. (now E. 96th St.)
was donated by Dr. W.S. Streator.
The Collinwood Sunday School, on Euclid Ave.,
between Republic and Doan Sts. at Doan's Corners, 1841
The Collinwood Congregational Church in 1896, on the SW corner of
Manchester St. (now Aspinwall Ave.) at Mars Ave. (now E. 150th St.)
The Christian Missionary Alliance Tabernacle at Beulah Park Cleveland, Ohio
The Christian Missionary Alliance Hotel at Beulah Park
was run by Lindus' son, Henry Bissell Cody.
A sketch of the Union Gospel Church in Frostproof, Florida
superintendents. About this time he took a strong lead in the work of
saloon visitation, carrying the Word of God to the proprietors and
frequenters of many of those houses in Collinwood, and offering prayer for
the salvation of those whom he met in those places.
The Gospel Church
Elder Lindus Cody was the founder of the Union Gospel Church in
the year 1882. In its early history it was known as “The Baden Avenue
Mission” and the chapel building, which was purchased and moved by Mr.
Cody, was situated on Baden Ave., near Central. The name was afterwards
changed to “The Gospel Mission” and the location of the church
building was later moved to Central Avenue about 66th St. During these
early years many came to know the Lord Jesus as a personal Saviour, and
the little mission church was recognized as a center of blessing for Christians
belonging to various denominations. As the congregation grew its
buildings were enlarged. During the days of difficulty and trial which
always attend the establishing of such a work,
The Gospel Church, Cedar Ave. and East 74th St.
Mr. Cody was assisted by
several of his children. Mrs. Cody also nobly supported all his efforts and
greatly aided him by her counsel, and her words of comfort and encouragement
during the formative period of this religious enterprise were of
immense value and inspiration to him in his good work.
Beulah Park was the creation of Mr. Cody. Its conventions, far-
famed for spiritual blessing for almost a generation, were made possible
by this “seer” who so frequently apprehended in broad, bold outline the
next thing for him in the plan of God. At that day when sheaves are
presented unto the Lord by His servants “at His coming”, great will be
the “crown of rejoicing” of Elder Lindus Cody.
Gospel Work in Cuba
Soon after the Spanish-American war, Mr. Cody spent several
months in Cuba, where he organized Gospel work and also volunteered in
the Government relief work. Leaders of Christian enterprises now
scattered in different parts of the world were associated with him in this
evangelistic undertaking. In Cuba the imperishable testimony of regen-
erated lives is to be found. Men who are “epistles read and known” by
their fellows, stand as the credentials to Mr. Cody’s call to begin this Gospel
testimony in that island.
The Union Church, Frostproof, Florida
Mr. Cody has for many years believed in the practical working unity
of believers, irrespective of denominational training and tendencies. His
own family is a striking illustration of this unity. His family circle
includes members of the Congregational, the Baptist, the Episcopal, the
Presbyterian and the Methodist denominations. Those who knew him in
his desire to unite believers were not surprised to learn that in the south
land where he has resided during the winter months for several years, he
had founded a Union Gospel Church. Blessing and abiding fruit has
resulted from this work. The usual testimony for which he spent him-
Mr. Lindus Cody and Miss Amelia Farnsworth, at the time of their marriage,
self—faithfulness to the fundamentals of the faith once delivered unto the
saints—characterized the preaching and teaching in this little Florida
The Erieside Bible Conference
This center for Bible teaching, which has become so widely known
and from which has flowed such wide-spread blessing to the believers, the
ministers and the missionaries who have gathered there from all parts of
the world, was made possible by the Christian liberality of Elder Lindus
Cody. The site of the tabernacle together with the adjoining land, and a
number of lots which were disposed of to meet the expenses of building
and the developing of the enterprise, were donated by Mr. Cody. His
purse and his prayers have been linked together in the interests of the
Erieside Bible Conference. It must be a crowning joy of his life to observe
the manifest blessing of the Lord resting upon the Erieside work, as he
sees the light radiating from Erieside teaching and penetrating into the
darkest corners of the heathen world.
The Gospel Church, Cedar Ave. and East 74th St.
Early in the year 1912 the old Gospel Church property on Central
Avenue was sold for factory purposes, and a new site was chosen on
Cedar Avenue at 74th Street. Although at this time Mr. Cody was over
seventy years of age, he entered enthusiastically with others into the
responsibilities attending the erecting of a new house of worship. The
Cedar Avenue Church building was almost entirely the product of its
members. The architectural plans, the masonry work, the construction
and carpentry work, the decorating, the concrete floors, the illuminated
texts, the pulpit desk, were the handiwork of members of the Church—
men who prayed that their work might glorify God. In all this Mr. Cody
bore his full share of responsibility, and the wisdom of his counsel and
Elder and Mrs. Cody, taken at the celebration of their Golden Wedding,
his resourcefulness were an untold encouragement to those who undertook
the laborious work in connection with the building.
The new Church was opened in December, 1912, and the dedicatory
sermons were preached by Dr. James M. Gray, of the Moody Bible Institute.
During the opening services an offering of over sixteen thousand
dollars was subscribed to the Building Fund, Mr. Cody donating generously
at that time and continuing his liberality over a number of years to
free the building of debt. Mr. Cody has ever enthusiastically supported
the evangelistic ministry of the Church, and the ever-growing missionary
program which has been advocated by the Pastor.
The Gospel Church is at present supporting six of its own members
as missionaries in heathen lands and is at this time contemplating the
equipment and the support of its seventh missionary. About 40 mission-
aries or mission boards are included annually in the financial fellowship of