As Cleveland prospered, they grew from speculators to contractors to developers, Lindus and Amelia rode the wave of change that arrived every day by rail. So too, did brother Darwin's lumber from the Michigan woods! Ahh.. Cleveland was a boom town now, filling up with all kinds of people. Indeed, Lindus and Amelia added a few of their own to the mix; along with Harriett and Lydia; Harry, Frank, Mary, Leonard, Arthur, Ethel, Grace and Gertrude added their voices to the choir.

Lindus and Amelia soon recognized the utility of Community Churchs in building a neighborhood suitable for children. They knew it wasn't just about constructing rows of identical bungalows, but about making a "commune-ity" for raising kids. Their Gospel Church and Beulah Park congregations were but two examples. His father's dream had been born anew, and stronger, not just manifesting faith, but continuing works!

Their children grew and each found their own new ways for good work. The girls took to the Kindergarten School while the boys were building houses. Lindus and Amelia believed in cultivating their children's best talents and sought new ways for them to learn, find expression and broaden their horizons. As itinerant evangelists, the parents echoed the Good Shepard's call to the pastoral work of tending their flocks.

Lydia, Mary, Ethel and Grace went away to learn and to teach. Away from home, letters kept the family in touch. The sons graduated from college and joined their father in his construction and real estate business.

Seeking new opportunities via the railroads, these Yankee snowbirds ventured into the Jim Crow South, for refuge from winter's icy blast in Tampa hotels. Guided by a vision of golden fruit, a fountain of healing power before vitamins, they found the Carson brothers of Frostproof in Polk Co. and the shores of Crooked Lake.

The uncredited author is retelling family history here as a primary source, corroborated by secondary sources. The stories about immigrating to Upper Canada, Toronto, crossing the Lake, Philip's education, the commune and his orphans' boyhood all ring true.

Some of the text below refers to Philip in France, but this tradition was proved void with the "Jersey Findings" and elsewhere. The Jersey Findings traced our Philip's LeCaudy family back 6 generations on Jersey and his bride, Martha LeBrocq to Guernsey. As natives, they were both born English subjects.

Our surname appeared in earlier different forms, such as the "LaGaudy" we have here, after they settled in Beverly. But, in Hopkinton, it gelled as "Cody" and we have it still!

Try starting with the phrase... "we begin our story with a Philip Cody who was born on Mar 22, 1770..." that Philip is our Philip 55, and Lydia gives his birthdate as July 1, 1770.




The first record of the Cody family’s wanderlust was found on the Isle of Jersey, where Philip LaGaudy took refuge from religious persecution in the France of his birth. Here he met and married Martha, leaving the record of the marriage as the first imprint of the Cody Family. Together, he and Martha crossed the Atlantic to Massachusetts. Philip soon learned that in order to survive and own property in this English colony, one needed to have an English name and belong to the local church. Eventually he emerged as Philip Cody, with wife Martha. He was a farmer living first in Beverly and then in Hopkinton. The first record of this change of name was the baptism of the son, John, in 1795. As the years passed, his ten children and their children spread out from the family center, into western Massachusetts.

And we begin our story with a Philip Cody who was born on Mar 22, 1770, at Oxford, MA. A farmer, he left home and true to the Cody wanderlust, moved into central New York State. He met and married Lydia Martin, whose family were pioneers in central New York. His older brother, Joseph, had moved into Canada, sending good reports of the opportunities there. Philip and his new wife decided to move there and he settled in York, Ontario. There he farmed, kept a tavern and was active in local politics. There are many written records of their lives, property ownership, church involvement, etc. Here his eleven children were born and baptized, the last of whom was Philip, Jr., born in 1816. The wanderlust affected Philip Sr. again, when at the age of 60, he heard glowing reports of the potential of a new city in Ohio called Cleveland, located on Lake Erie. He sold his interests in Ontario, packed up his wife and younger children, and moved back to the United States. A family story tells of this trip, part of which was using the frozen lake as their road, only to fall through the ice as they approached their destination. Fortunately, they were close to shore, so family, wagon, horses, and possessions survived, and they settled in East Cleveland.

It is interesting to note that from the first records, the members of the family were able to read and write, beginning with the first Philip as well as his Jerseyite wife, Martha. So it was not unusual to find that the children of succeeding generation were educated. Thus Philip, Jr. attended schools in Canada, until the age of 14 when the family moved to Ohio, and then completed high school in East Cleveland. He decided to be a doctor, and graduated from the Botannic Medical School in Cincinnati, Ohio. After starting his medical practice in Cleveland, he married Harriet Sherwin. Their first son, Darwin, was born in 1838. However, the wanderlust bug hit him when his wife’s uncle of Davenport, Iowa, wrote of the opportunities for a doctor there. He packed up his wife and baby, moving to Davenport, where he was very prosperous. Their second son, Lindus, was born there, but the rigors of pioneer life, with two babies, were too hard on Harriet’s health. They returned to Cleveland, where Philip studied Law and became enthusiastic about the philosophy of Fourier.

This Frenchman was an early proponent of socialism: "every one works and every one benefits, share the wealth" type of thinking. Frank Sherwin, Harriett’s brother, later wrote: "Philip studied this Fourier until he thought this was the only true religion on earth, and that it was the life for him. He tried to induce me to join, but I told him it wouldn’t work out. As long as men were selfish, they would not be content to live under this system." Philip decided to establish a Fourier Society, and after the birth of his third son, Aldus in 1842, he purchased 300 acres of land, six miles outside Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. He went ahead of his family, building a house in the town, where Harriet joined him when the baby was two years old. He gathered a


core of members of his Society and he directed them to cut trees on his acreage, using the logs to build six houses, moving into them with his family and his followers, with their families. This Fourier concept was a forerunner of communism, a "one-for-all, all-for-one belief". Everyone worked, shared in the decisions, and in the profits if any. The first year the men planted gardens, hunted and fished for food. They cut wood for sale, but the nearest market was six miles away in Sheboygan. So Philip bought a heavy wagon and a span of horses, to take the wood and some hides to market, bringing back provisions. lt appears that these followers had no money to support themselves and families. The first two years Philip had to provide the difference between the sale of wood and the meager harvest of the first year’s gardens on the small amount of land the men had cleared. Some of the acreage was swamp and needed drainage to be of any use. It soon became apparent that these followers were not as enthusiastic about Fourier method as they were looking for someone to support them. Philip’s money began to run out, and some of the men left. Then Harriett, the three boys, as well as himself had been ill because of the unhealthy living conditions so near the swamp. Philip became morose over the failure of his project, the end of his dream. He never recovered from his illness and died, some said from a broken heart. As soon as he was buried, every one of his followers that were still there, grabbed what they could of the tools, cut wood, provisions, etc. Harriett related that some even threatened to sue the association for the time they had spent living there! They found that they could do nothing as Philip was dead. None of the family, in later years, was able to find where he was buried. A commemorative stone was placed in the Cody family plot in Lakeview Cemetary, in Cleveland, by Grace and Lydia Cody. Harriett moved back to the house in Sheboygan Falls, and wrote to her father, Ahaimiaz Sherwin, for help.

Frank Sherwin, Harriett’s brother, was sent to Wisconsin, starting as soon as the family received her letter. He was to bring them back to Cleveland, but it was already fall. Frank wrote later to tell of his difficulties. He had to take the train to Chicago, and then the boat to Sheboygan Falls. Since it was so late in the season, he discovered that the boats only went to Milwaukee. His account tells of landing there; finding no transport north, he started walking, finally getting a ride with a wagon part of the way. He found Harriett and the boys still too weak from their illness to stand the difficult journey home. He hired a horse and wagon, and brought in loads of wood from the Fourier property, and as many provisions as possible. A family living close to them promised to help her through the winter. Having done the best he could, he went home. He returned as soon as the boats started running in the spring, finding the family well enough to travel. By this time the boats were running from Sheboygan Falls, but he tells of encountering ice in the Mackinac area. On arriving in Cleveland, Harriett and the boys, moved back into the house they had left two years before.

Ahaimiaz Sherwin managed her financial affairs, and she put the three boys into school. Philip Cody, Sr died in 1850, and the boy’s portion of his estate was held for them until they were 21 years old. Harriett never fully regained her health, and died in1854. Darwin was 16, Lindus 14 and Aldus 12, so they were moved to live with relatives, working for them to pay their board and room. They were unhappy separated, and finally, after two years, they were allow to return to their own home. Here they raised fruit and vegetables while they finished their schooling. Darwin went to Oberlin College when he was 18, and so Lindus and Aldus kept house for themselves. Lindus also spent part of his summers on the boats plying between Cleveland and


Dunkirk, N.Y., helping Aldus with the produce in between trips. He learned to love the water, and, for the rest of his life he enjoyed swimming, sailing and fishing.

Amelia Farnsworth was the daughter of Whitcomb Farnsworth, born in 1843 in Fleming, NY., which is near Auburn. Her grandfather, Solomon Farnsworth, had been a drummer boy in the Revolutionary War. He lived with his son, Whitcombe’s, family in his last years, and Amelia remembered him as a very old man, but still tall and straight. She had two older half brothers, from her father’s first marriage, two sisters, Mary and Cynthia and three younger brothers, Eugene, Clarke and George. Whitcombe was called a "book farmer" by his neighbors, because he studied books on bee raising, then successfully produced and sold honey. When Amelia was 11, her father’s health failed, so the family sold the farm and moved to Painesville, Ohio. Here they were closer to doctors that were not available in their rural New York farm. They lived with her parents, Grandfather and Grandmother Fancher. Six children in the house was too much for Grandmother, and five of the children were parceled out to various relatives, leaving only baby George with his mother. Amelia was 12 when she was placed with her Aunt Sarah who lived on Euclid Avenue at 83rd St., in a big brick house. lt was across the street from the Cody boy’s small farm. She earned her keep minding the little children, she wrote in her memoirs. She also attended school and she was in the same class as Lindus. Amelia was homesick, and would watch the stagecoaches bound for Painesville go by the house, wishing she were on them. Harriett had made a hard decision, but she was a good mother who wrote to each of her distant children every week, and expected them to write to her.

lt was during these years 1855-60 that Lindus and Amelia met and fell in love. When he became 21, he received his share of his father’s estate, and they decided to marry. Aunt Sarah would not approve the marriage as she had a prosperous older suitor for Amelia. They became secretly engaged and wrote of their plans to her mother in Painesville where she was keeping house for the grandparents who were ill. She approved of the marriage, so the young couple journeyed to Painesville to make plans. On their return to Cleveland, Amelia had her trousseau made: a blue taffeta wedding dress and a striped silk traveling dress. She had her picture taken in 1926 in that wedding dress to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary! On their wedding day, Amelia met Lindus at the Johnson House Hotel in downtown Cleveland, one of the best of its day. They were married Oct. 12, 1861 by Rev. Theron Hawks of the Second Presbyterian Church and Aldus was a witness. They had supper at the hotel and their honeymoon was the boat trip to Detroit and Chicago. On arrival, they took a train to Fond-du-Lac, Michigan, boarding with a cousin there. Lindus got work, hauling bread to a soldiers camp. In May, they returned to Cleveland and took possession of the Cody home where they raised fruit and vegetables.

The Civil War had started, but Lindus had a cough, which kept him out of the Army. Darwin _ and Aldus were both at Oberlin College, and both enlisted, Darwin serving all of the War. Aldus became ill after several months, was furloughed until he recovered, then returned to his unit for the rest of the War.

76                                              MATTHIAS JR
  1. Levi, b. 22 Sep 1845; d. 23 May 1847. FARNSWORTH and his wife Mary Ann Hewitt had issue: 7th Gen.
  1. Henry E., b. 7 Jan 1831; m. Lamira H. Brainard, b. 14 May 1883 in Haddam, CT; d. 10 Nov 1895 in Brooklyn, NY. He was a lawyer and Judge in New York City. 8th Gen.
    1. Annie S., b. 26 Feb 1861 in N.Y.C.; d. 3 Mar 1897 in Brooklyn. She m. George E. S. Baker. 10th Gen. (b. Brooklyn).
      1. George Farnsworth Baker, b. 3 Sep 1888.
      2. Gertrude Baker, b. 19 Oct 1895.
  2. * Horace F., b. 10 Feb 1835; d. 2 Sep 1920. He m. 25 Dec 1861 Fannie Wolcott, b. 1844. He served in the Civil War in the 15th Reg. Conn. Vols. Inf. from 6 Aug 1862 to close of war.
    By his 2nd wife Harriet (Fancher) Clark he had issue in Fleming, NY:
  1. Sarah Amelia, b. 16 Jun 1843; m. 16 Oct 1862 Lindus Cody of Cleveland, OH. 8th Gen.
    1. Harriett E. Cody, b. 26 Aug 1863; m. 15 Sep 1880 Andrew J. Marsh.
    2. Lydia S. Cody, b. 17 Dec 1864.
    3. Henry B. Cody, b. 12 Oct 1867; m. 26 Feb 1895 Elina C. Canfield.
    4. Frank L. Cody, b. 11 Dec 1868; m. 27 Oct 1894 Ida B. Baker.
    5. Mary A. Cody, b. 28 Oct 1871.
    6. Leonard B. Cody, b. 12 Jul 1872.
    7. Arthur P. Cody, b. 15 Jul 1874.
    8. Ethel J. Cody, b. 18 Mar 1880.
    9. Grace I. Cody, b. 6 Jan 1882.
    10. Gertrude L. Cody, b. 17 Oct 1885
  2. Cynthia Louise, b. 22 Sep 1844; m. 17 Oct 1866 Thomas Ashley Bissell of Aurora, Kane Co., IL. 8th Gen.
    1. Frederick O. Bissell, b. 19 Sep 1868 at Buffalo, NY; m. 24 Jun 1896 Nellie C. Smith.
    2. He was twin to:
    3. Frank B. Bissell, b. 19 Sep 1868.
    4. J. Clark Bissell, b. 12 Oct 1871.
    5. Grace L. Bissell, b. 1 Jun 1875.
    6. Harriette B. Bissell, b. 5 Apr 1880.
    7. Jean C. Bissell, b. 22 Jan 1883. F
    8. Leonard R. Bissell, b. 2 Feb 1886.
  3. Mary Jane, b. 18 Jan 1846; m. 14 Oct 1869 Lemuel Addison Hall of Sul1ivan, Ashland Co. , OH. 8th Gen.

MATTHIAS JR                                              77
    1. Cynthia A. Hall, b. 19 Mar 1872.
    2. George S. Hall, b. 6 Oct 1875.
    3. Lindus C. Hall, b. 23 Sep 1877.
    4. Harriette R. Hall, b. 19 Sep 1879.
    5. Russell L. Hall, b. 18 Nov 1881.
  1. Whitcomb Clark, b. 12 Jul 1847; enlisted in the 25th Independent Ohio Battery in the latter part of the Civil War; d. at the military hospital in Helena, AR 15 Apr 1864.
  2. Eugene Thomas, b. 11 Sep 1851; d. 4 Nov 1864.
  3. * George Brigham, b. 23 Jun 1854; m. (1st) 3 May 1881 Mrs. Alice Eliza (Clark) Fish, dau. Seth Gould and Lucy (Peck) Clark and widow of Edward Fish of Brooklyn Village (now part of Cleveland) OH. She d. 15 Sep 1909. He m. (2nd) 12 Nov 1912 Lucy E. Fish, dau. Edward and Alice Fish. He graduated from the Medical Dept. of Wooster University at Cleveland, OH, 27 Feb 1879. He was in general practice as a physician in Cleveland, OH and served several years as President of the Farnsworth Family Association of the United States. B. FARNSWORTH and his wife, Betsey Ann Lewis had issue: 7th Gen.
  1. William, b. 1836; d. 1900.
  2. Isaac, b. 1837; d. 1885.
  3. John, b. 1839; d. 1906.
  4. James, b. 1841; d. 1853.
  5. * Polly Ann, b. 1843; d. 1898. She m. Henry J. King, b. 1838; d. 1911.
  6. Sarah Jane, b. 1848; d. 1853.
  7. Harriet, b. 1850; d. 1910.
  8. Cardine, b. 1854; d. 1878.
By his 2nd wife, Ellen Cady, he had:
  1. Sarah Jane, b. 1872; d. 1888. FARNSWORTH and his wife, Content Wilcox, had issue in Westford, MA: 7th Gen.
  1. Seth; b. 1810; d. 7 Apr 1813.
  2. Emily, b. ca. 1814; d. 7 Jan 1844, unm., buried Fairfield, VT.
  3. Phila, b. 6 Mar 1814; m. 1840 Elias Hall and had in Fairfax, VT: 8th Gen.
    1. Louisa Hall, b. 19 Feb 1838; d. 23 Mar 1876.
    2. Asher Palmer Hall, b. 3 Sep 1839; d. 15 Jul 1866. He m. 5 Jul 1862 Diantha Wood.
    3. Dr. George Hall. M.D., b. 14 Nov 1845; d. 4 Aug 1887. He m. Selina Sherwood.

The International Cody Family Association